Meet David Dulceany – Learning Innovation Bass Instructional Fellow

What has impressed me the most about the use of emerging digital technologies in teaching and learning is the community of people open to collaboration and dialogue at Duke. I have learned so much from others who have implemented online or digital learning in their teaching.

David Dulceany, Learning Innovation Bass Fellow

Duke Learning Innovation welcomes our Summer 2019 Bass Instructional Fellow, David Dulceany (Ph.D. student in Romance Studies). Bass Instructional Fellows partner with the Learning Innovation team to gain valuable professional development experience in online college teaching, learning design and digital education. To date, Learning Innovation has provided professional development for 19 Bass Fellows, in partnership with the Duke Graduate School.

Dulceany shares what motivated him to pursue this fellowship:

David Dulceany headshot

I decided to become a Bass Fellow because I am invested in online learning and digital pedagogical tools. I am fascinated by new developments in digital learning and experimenting with emerging educational models. I find that students also enjoy experimenting with these possibilities because it allows them to think more creatively about the topics and ideas they encounter in class.

Dulceany has teaching experience at Duke and internationally, as instructor for Intensive Elementary Spanish (with local service components and a study abroad experience in Mexico). In addition, he has taught Advanced Spanish Writing at Duke, and has been a visiting Professor at the University of Bucharest, teaching Latino/a Caribbean Literature and Culture.

In addition, Dulceany has been very engaged at Duke, participating in many initiatives and programs.

I have been a fellow in the PhD Lab in Digital Knowledge, a Preparing Future Faculty fellow, and the Marshall T. Meyer Human Rights Intern in the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library. I am actively involved in CLACS (the Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies), FHI (the John Hope Franklin Humanities Institute), and the Duke Forum for Scholars and Publics.

Looking Ahead to Fall 2019

Learning Innovation has launched a new program, the Bass Digital Education Fellowship for Ph.D. students. We look forward to welcoming our new Bass Digital Education Fellows in Fall 2019 – more news to come!

To learn more, contact Learning Innovation.